About the service
In line with our vision to provide a "dignified life for all members of the Community", the Department of Community Development - Abu Dhabi is responsible for granting initial approvals and licensing public interest associations and civil society foundations in accordance with the provisions of laws and regulating decisions.
The licensing process enables associations and institutions to carry out their operations and provide their services in an integrated manner and within an organized legal framework.
Natural or legal persons seeking a license of associations which are organized with the capacity of continuity for a limited or unlimited period, with the intention of achieving social, religious, cultural, scientific, educational, professional, feminist, artistic activity, or providing humanitarian services. or achieve a purpose of charity, or solidarity, whether through assistance, moral or technical expertise, and it seeks in all its activities for the public interest alone without obtaining monetary profit.
Civil Society Foundations
Each single founder or a group of founders seeking a license of public interest associations and civil society foundations for a limited or unlimited period by allocating funds for achieving any of the objectives set forth under article (2) of this law without aiming to generate financial profits.
Social Security Fund
A group consists of natural persons with a continuous organization for a limited or unlimited period for the purpose of strengthening the solidarity among them, through the services provided by the Fund to its members.
Requirements for obtaining a license
To obtain the license, the following documents must be submitted to the Department of Community Development - Abu Dhabi:
- License Request.
- Founder’s minutes of meeting.
- Minutes of the interim committee meeting.
- Board of Trustees Minutes of Meeting - If the applicant is a foundation.
- Data form (founding member).
- Data form (Board of Trustees members)- If the applicant is a foundation.
- A list of names of the founding members.
- A list of names of the Foundation's Board of Trustees - If the applicant is a foundation.
- The approved constitution of Association/Foundation and a summary of it.
- Obtaining Initial approval from the Department of Community Development - Abu Dhabi.
- Any other documents required by the Department of Community Development - Abu Dhabi or the Ministry of Community Development.
- Ministerial decree of publicity NGO’s by Ministry of Community Development through the Department of Community Development - Abu Dhabi.
- Copy of passport and Emirates ID of the members.
Note: In case that the not-for-profit foundation and association licensed by the department want to obtain other services; please send a letter to the department explaining the details of the service to be obtained along with any other documents requested by the department or ministry if needed.
To apply for the service, please send all the requirements to the following e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Needed Documents for Licensing Non-Governmental Organization
Frequently asked questions
What are donations?
Any money collected in cash or in kind, movable or fixed, including the national currency, foreign currencies, bonds, sukuk and shares, in whatever form they are, including electronic or digital, for spending on charitable causes or providing charitable or humanitarian services and aid.
What are the requirements to apply for fundraising service?
- Filling out the application form.
- The applicant must be a legal person according to the UAE’s laws and legislations.
- Approval of the entities through which the donations will be collected (Emirates Red Crescent Authority / Ma’an Authority)
What are the documents required to receive a donation collection permit? What are the requirements to get fundraising permit?
- Filling out the donation collection permit application form.
- A copy of the passport / Emirates ID / valid residency (for non-nationals) of the representative of the entity.
- A letter proving the approval of the relevant authorities (Emirates Red Crescent / Ma’an Authority)
- The law of establishing, publicising, or issuing commercial licensing of the applicant for the permit.
- Any other documents required by DCD.